Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival -- Applique : :

Applique Art Quilt

If you follow me regularly, you'll remember seeing this quilt a bunch this year! It was so long in the making, changing many times, but thankfully turned into a finish I'm very happy with. This is the project that taught me how to quilt, and was made extra special by it's story and recipient. I'm excited for this chance to share it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

Butterfly. Branch

I wasn't sure which category it fit best, but decided on Applique since those elements are my most favorite parts of this quilt. The idea of a Little Folks voile, yo-yo flower garden is what started this project after-all!

Yoyo flowers

Applique Art Quilt -- Yo Yo Flower Closeup

Applique Art Quilt -- Binding Details

The rest came together piece by piece, all unplanned. My "sketch stitch" girl, the patchwork, the appliqued butterflies.

In the Sun

Applique Art Quilt -- Back with Front

Applique Art Quilt -- Butterfly Details

It's made up of Anna Maria Horner prints with a few Pure Element solids, is both machine quilted with variegated Aurifil and a few of the decorative stitches my Janome offers, and hand-quilted with floss. Ans, it now lives happily with my friend Jodi!

Applique Art Quilt -- Details. White Border stitched with Variegated Aqua Aurifil

Applique Art Quilt -- Yo Yo Flower Panel

I have started a new quilt with a similar vibe that I hope to focus in on finishing after the holidays. This type of slow-moving quilt work is something I really enjoy and plan to continue to develop. Making a quilt each year that includes one of my "sketch stitch" thread drawings and favorite fabrics is one of my personal goals for each year!

Applique Art Quilt

 Quilt Stats

name: An Applique Art Quilt
size: lap size
fabrics: Art Gallery Pure Element solids & Anna Maria Horner fabrics
quilting: straight line & decorative on my Janome 12000, along with hand-quilting
backing: Anna Maria Horner's Coreopsis in Lime from her Loulouthi collection
binding: Anna Maria Horner's Hugs & Kisses in Wine from her Loulouthi collection

Thank you so much for stopping by today! Maureen

40 comments:

sandyb said...

Once again WOW!!!! Butterflies and the lovely lady! A wonderful combination you have created.
Good Luck!

Annette said...

I was hoping you would enter this one because it's my most favorite!!! Good luck with both entries!

Charlotte said...

it really is so very lovely - I am delighted to be seeing it again!

Gayle Bouters said...

Beautiful - such fine attention to detail.

pignkitty said...

love it!

Nisa-mom said...

oh Maureen ; I fall in love with this quilt for the first time when I 'poop' into your blog ; I wish you have pattern that you willing to sell - so I can learn something new :) * I love love.. love it..

ewecan said...

Very nice! What an interesting way to 'make' hair!

Shannon Phillips said...

Oh wow-somehow I missed the post on this finished quilt. It is amazing! The applique is just beautiful!

Ольга Т. said...

Очень сюжетно насыщенное. Цветовая гамма шикарная.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love the detailing on the hair--great quilt!

SIMPLESEW said...

love it

Ella said...

I've loved watching you "play" with butterflies!

Anne said...

My favorite!

Lori said...

wow this is wonderful. you really outdid yourself here. I love it when I work so hard on something and at the end have learned something new.

abeullah said...

beautiful. Love those pics that you post.

audrey said...

Wow! This is a fabulous quilt. Love all the wonderful details and the great colors. Really, really wonderful quilt.

Kris said...

I so love this. I have been thinking about it ever since you made it!

GrannyTo8Boys said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Jodi is a lucky recipient. i am jealous.

Linda R said...

I absolutely Love this quilt. It is so unique!! Is the picture of the girl - the one you gave the quilt to - Jodi?? How special!

qwilltr said...

Your applique is spectacular! I love it!

Jerry Beavers said...

Maureen this is absolutely gorgeous!! I remember when you started with posting sketches of the girl. Turned out brilliantly. You should continue with the artistic side. I think it just adds variety to our creativity. I have started to develop some, but will be a while before I am even ready to start on a quilt. Keep creating--I love your posts.

Katy Cameron said...

I love that wee girl, so glad you brought her out again :o)

Jayne said...

Beautiful as are all our quilts! I love this because it is so unique!

Nilya said...

I loved this from the beginning!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

I don't know how I missed this before! But I love it! Especially the stitch sketched girl. Very inspiring! The colours, the flowers, the texture, the random-ish design - it's all sew perfect! Great job!

Pauline Baita said...

You did awesome, it is just beautiful!! Good Luck!

Malini said...

This quilt is just stunning beauty!

Jan Rhoades said...

Your quilts make my heart sing. They have an essence of exhilliration which is confounding. Amazing stuff. I love the sketch girl. Good luck and thank you for sharing.

Jan Rhoades said...

Your quilts make my heart sing. They have an essence of exhilliration which is confounding. Amazing stuff. I love the sketch girl. Good luck and thank you for sharing.

Jan Rhoades said...

I'm now a Hypernoodle follower. Thanks for sharing

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

I just adore this quilt so much! The AMH is beautiful and your applique makes it so fun. The sketch stitching is incredible and you have my vote :)

Joan Kawano said...

Very cool!

Tammy said...

I love this quilt and never tire of seeing it... It is definitely a winner.

Becca said...

So beautiful!

grapes and hearts said...

Oh, I would love to see this quilt and touch it! It looks lovely and nicely textured! There is so much to be discovered in this quilt! A true piece of art!

Mi Ha-Pea said...

This quilt is the best quilt I have seen. I will try to 'sketch' with thread 1 day. I love it!

KristyLou said...

YOU WON!!!!! Someone whose bolg I follow actually won!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Brenna said...

I love the "sketch stitch" idea :) congratulations!

shobs said...

Congrats on this quilt winning the applique category at Amy's creative, Maureen!

leanne said...

congratulations on your win - this is such a gorgeous quilt - the sketch stitching is fabulous and I love the butterflies too - bet Jodi treasures it :)